Winter Kids 2020
Fairview is going for GOLD!
Fairview has been selected to participate int eh Winter Kids challenge! Stay tuned for upcoming details - the challenge beings this Friday - January 3rd at our school kick-off event!
Learn more about the Winter Kids organization here!
Check back here often more the MOST up-to-date information!
Each week of the WINTER KIDS challenge is January will follow a different theme for the week:
- Week 1: January 6th - 10th: Physical Fitness Week
- Students, staff, and families will be getting active in new ways here at school and at home to enjoy wintertime in Maine!
- Week 2: January 13th - 17th: Nutrition Week
- We will be focusing on how to make healthy eating choices to fuel our bodies to stay active and healthy!
- Week 3: January 20th - 24th: Art and Family Engagement Week
- Be ready! This week will feature lots of fun events for the whole family to enjoy!
- Week 4: January 27th - January 31st: Winter Carnival
- A fun way to celebrate all of our learning and activity is to come together in a week of exciting events!
Stay connected via REMIND and our social media platforms on Facebook and Twitter for the most up-to-date details and information!
Help our school community celebrate Winter Fun and go for the GOLD! #fairviewgold2020
Week One: Physical Fitness
- Superintendent Grondin gets our Fairview Tigers excited about being Winter Kids participants!
- Students made snowmen and then measured the effects of sun and weather on their rate of melting!
Snowshoeing & Exploring!
- Students had the chance to explore outside on a scavenger hunt or a winter walk! What a beautiful winter day!
Sledding and Relays!
- Studying the science of sledding and force and motion, we took full advantage of our sledding hill!
Calculating Snow & Making "Snowcanoes"!
- Who knew watching melting snow could be so much fun?! Lots of science observations happening as we create chemical reactions and watch matter change!
We Work Out!
- Fairview students and staff were led through fitness cooperative workouts by coaches and members of the Bates women's basketball team!
Week Two: Nutrition
What's On Your Plate
- Students explored how to make healthy choices when adding food to their lunches and snacks!
"Germ Tag" and
- To make connections between how germs can easily spread, students played "Germ Tag" and then all students listened to guest speaker Rebecca Dugan who shared a taste of roasted cauliflower with all students!
- All students were challenged to switch out sugary drinks and to increase their water intake! Thanks to a generous donation from Poland Spring, all students were provided a bottle of water they could drink and refill! When students completed the challenge, they each received a “prize” from Poland Spring!
- Knowing the components of the five food groups helped students race one another to complete healthy nutrition relays!
- After reading "Stone Soup" classes worked together to make healthy recipes for a soup cook off!
Community Members as Judges!
- We had members of the school committee, city council, school department, and local business members who helped to judge all of our soup contributions!